Hackers have a variety of abilities, including programming and computer networking. They frequently employ these abilities to gain access to systems. The goal of a cyber-attack against a company would be to steal critical information, disrupt commercial operations, or physically damage computer-controlled equipment. To achieve the planned approach, Trojans, viruses, and worms can be utilized.
In this article, we’ll go over some of the methods that hackers can attack a computer system by using Trojans, viruses, and worms. We’ll also look at some of the countermeasures that can be utilized to prevent such things from happening.
What is Worm?
A worm is a malicious, self-replicating program that can spread throughout a network without human assistance.
Worms, like viruses, create damage by exploiting security software flaws and potentially stealing important data, damaging files, and creating a back door for remote access to the system, among other things.
But worms are not viruses. Viruses need a host computer or operating system. The worm program operates alone.
File-sharing networks, information-transport features, email attachments, and clicking links to malicious websites are all common ways for the worm to spread. Once downloaded, the worm exploits a weakness in its target system or deceives a user into running it. Some worms have a phishing component to convince victims to run dangerous malware.
Internet worms are frequently designed to take advantage of new security bugs and look for systems that haven’t updated their software or operating systems.
Classifications and names of worms include:
What is a virus?
A virus is a computer program that infects other programs and files without the user’s permission. Viruses can take up computer resources like memory and processing time. Infected programs and files are those that have been attacked. It’s possible that a computer virus will be used to;
- Access private data such as user id and passwords
- Display annoying messages to the user
- Corrupt data in your computer
- Log the user’s keystrokes
Computer viruses have been known to employ social engineering techniques. These systems are capable of tricking users into opening files that appear to be normal files like Word or Excel documents. When you open the file, the virus code runs and does what it’s supposed to do.
What is a Trojan horse?
It was too late when the horse’s belly opened in the middle of the night. The Greeks had finally taken Troy, which had been besieged for so long, bringing the Trojan War to a close. Thousands of years later, the myth of the Trojan horse persists, but with a negative connotation now. What was previously viewed as a smart trick and a magnificent work of engineering is today seen as a malevolent digital parasite whose single purpose is to cause havoc on the systems of its victims without being discovered. It performs this by reading passwords, capturing keyboard strokes, or allowing more malware to take over the computer. These acts can include the following:
- Deleting data
- Blocking data
- Modifying data
- Copying data
- Disrupting the performance of computers or computer networks
Unlike computer viruses and worms, Trojans are not able to self-replicate.
Trojan, Virus, and Worm Differential Table
To protect against such attacks, an organization can use the following methods:
- Use of anti-virus software, operating system updates, internet and external storage media security policies, and so on.
- Users are prohibited from downloading unneeded files from the Internet, such as spam email attachments, games, and programs that purport to speed up downloads, among other things.
- All user computers must have anti-virus software installed. Anti-virus software should be updated on a regular basis, and scans should be run at specified intervals.
- Scan external storage devices on an isolated machine especially those that originate from outside the organization.
- Regular backups of critical data must be made and stored on preferably read-only media such as CDs and DVDs.
- Worms exploit vulnerabilities in the operating systems. Downloading operating system updates can help reduce the infection and replication of worms.
- In order to avoid worms, scan all email attachments before downloading them.
About us: Codelivly is a platform designed to help newbie developers to find the proper guide and connect to training from basics to advance.