In this post, let’s learn some of the features of the Linux operating system. Linux is virtually found and used everywhere. Developers run the code on Linux boxes. Most of the production servers run on Linux machines. Testers run the tests and the DevOps team deploys the application on Linux machines/VMs etc. As we can see Linux supports many use cases.
Features of Linux OS
Some of the features are as follows:
1. Portable Environment
Linux software operates flawlessly on a variety of hardware platforms. Without the worry of incompatibility, individuals can use Linux operating system on any device. It runs the same way on both high-end and low-end hardware.
2. Free and Open-Source
Its source code is available for anybody to use and alter. Many developers collaborate in organizations to improve and strengthen Linux, and lots of developers constantly work on updating the Linux system.
3. Shell/ Command-line Interface
The Linux system includes essential programs that users can utilize in order to issue commands to the operating system for executing the design flawlessly. You may also direct it to carry out various forms of Linux commands for effectively carrying out the applications.
4. End-to-end encryption
Authentication can help you in protecting your data. The Linux Operating System requires you to enter a password in order to access several important files. Furthermore, users can encrypt their data under the Linux system.
5. Graphical User Interface (GUI)
Linux Operating System comes with Graphical User Interface (GUI) abilities in the same way you can with Windows. Similarly, users can install the programs, and the computer graphics will begin to work in the same way that Windows does.
6. Configure Keyboards into Different Languages
Because Linux is available in various languages, it is simple to use it worldwide. As a result, you can change the language on your keyboard as per your preference.
7. Frequent New Updates
Software updates are controlled by the users in Linux. Individuals have the option to pick and choose which updates are required, and there are a plethora of system updates accessible. These upgrades happen considerably more quickly than on other operating systems. Therefore, system upgrades can be deployed without difficulty.
8. Lightweight Infrastructure
Linux is a highly lightweight operating system. Linux has far fewer prerequisites than any other operating system, has a smaller memory footprint, and uses less storage space. Typically, you’ll find a Linux Distro with only 128MB of RAM and around the same amount of disc space.
9. Extremely Flexible
Many desktop applications, embedded systems, and server applications can gain from Linux’s high level of flexibility. Additionally, it provides administrators with a variety of computer-specific limitation options so they can restrict installation to only necessary components.
10. Best For Developers
Linux supports nearly every popular programming language, including C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, etc. Furthermore, it provides a wide range of development-related applications.
A majority of developers all around the world prefer the Linux terminal over the Windows command line. On a Linux system, the package manager aids programmers in understanding how things are performed. It also comes with features like bash scripting and supports SSH that aids in the speedy management of servers.
Why Use Linux
Linux is completely different from other operating systems in many ways.
- It is an open source OS which gives a great advantage to the programmers as they can design their own custom operating systems.
- It gives you a lot of option of programs having some different features so you can choose according to your need.
- A global development community look at different ways to enhance its security, hence it is highly secured and robust so you don’t need an anti virus to scan it regularly. Companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook use linux in order to protect their servers as it is highly reliable and stable.
- Above all you don’t have to pay for software and server licensing to install Linux, its absolutely free and you can install it on as many computers as you want.
- Its completely trouble free operating system and don’t have an issue with viruses, malware and slowing down your computer.